Monday, May 11, 2009

humbled on mother's day.

i had a humbling experience yesterday. no details. just know that it happened. it is a hard thing to be humbled in front of the ones you love most and on mother's day no less. but it is my perfect story of restoration and how God's love is amazing and it is right there ready for me (you) all the time. learning that because of my past (no details...we all have a past) i have "lenses" that make me see things a certain way, when in fact they may not be the certain way, but just how i may perceive them (am i making sense?). i prayed yesterday that God would restore my day and forgive me for seeing things "my way" and not "his way". well as you will see below He did just that. i serve a God that is amazing. and i feel so blessed to know that.
a little frame of my life right now: beautiful flowers from jeff, my bamboo plant (the only plant i can make live in my house), my backyard that i love, jack, lauren and macs observing, seed pots the kids planted on the hot tub, a hot tub (yes, it is on my back patio, love it, but we will be moving it very soon, right honey?), top left of the window sill a birthday gift from jack (his handprint), lysine on the bottom sill for lauren's cold sores, you can barely see it back there but we had an area at the back yard graded so we could have a flat area to run, and the icing on this...all the spots on my window, a reflection on how often i clean those things (if i go a little deeper i could say these are my dirty foggy "lenses" and until i say i'm going to take the step to clean them off they will remain dirty and foggy).
so jeff asked, "what would you like to do today?" we had just been to church and the guys in the big deal made a bench in less than 20 minutes. amazing! i told jeff, "i want that bench. i want us all to work together as a family and build a bench." here it is. and he even put a back on it so i could recline in comfort. i tell you this man knows his way around the power tools. thank you so much baby. i love it.
finishing touches.
jack and lauren observing a spider wrap up his catch.
setting up for a family shot you need a model. megan was very happy to help out.
here comes daddy.
and lauren.
jack.
and grandma.
don't forget macs.
and me.
now, here's what happens when you hand the remote to a 3 year old.
this.
and this.
and more of this.
he can't seem to stop.
stop. no way.
these photos brought to you by jack.

i woke up this morning thinking about that bench. i will forever look at that bench as a reminder of what God can do for me anytime, anywhere, at any point. in a way he is sitting on that bench, waiting for me (anyone). waiting for us to talk with him. visit with him. follow him. i love this bench. it will be a gathering place for my family. such a gift (and i love that the leader of this family..you honey...made it with his own two hands.)

have a blessed week!
alicia

4 comments:

Johnsen Crew said...

i think you and your family are amazing. love the bench. and i just felt led to share a verse with you that has helped me tremendously over the last year.i don't know if it even applies to you right now, but i felt a tug by the HOLY SPIRIT:
THERE IS THEREFORE NOW NO CONDEMNATION TO THEM WHICH ARE IN CHRIST JESUS, WHO WALK NOT UNDER THE FLESH, BUT UNDER THE SPIRIT. FOR THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT OF LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS HATH MADE ME FREE FROM THE LAW OF SIN AND DEATH. ROMANS 8:1-2
maybe this was for someone else reading the blog. i don't know, just felt led to share.

Shannon and Elli said...

missed talking to you yesterday! what an interesting day you must have had! ah, the ups and downs of motherhood (wifehood)! I too experienced quite a struggle yet God's grace shown brightly on my life by the evening. As the sun went down His light came up!!! I love you and would love to chat!!!

PS can't wait to "chill" on the bench with you and receive God's Love & grace all over again!! Love it...love you...love Him!

Shannon

Catherine said...

What a marvelous bench, a perfect Mother's Day gift.. I see many good times on that bench. Good discussions. There is a song entitled "Come to the Water". It starts "O let all who thirst, let them come to the water". You could substitute the word water for bench in that song and it would be perfect. Keep a little waterproof box under the bench full of uplifting and inspirational material for anyone that might like to pause and reflect. "Let's go to the bench and talk" could become a common phrase. Love, Mom

jessica said...

so great meeting you guys today! love love love your family!